Wednesday, December 2, 2009

This and That

I don't know how many of you watch ABC's Modern Family Wednesday nights. I ask because last week's episode included a funny craft-related element. The main family was giving their son a birthday party, and the dad wanted it to be over the top, with a reptile petting zoo, moon bounce, etc., but the mom thought it would be fun to have an arts and crafts station. In particular, she wanted to have the kids make comb cases, like she did at her friend's party as a kid. Everyone kind of laughed at her, making jokes about her being stuck in the 1950s, but he set up her little table anyway -- and end up decorating comb cases by herself. Feeling bad for her, her husband told her that her hair looked nice -- and she said thanks, she'd been combing it all day. Ha ha. As an artist trying to market handmade fashion in a modern world, I found this especially funny. And true.

This has nothing to do with crafting, but on my way home from work yesterday I saw a billboard announcing Air Supply at Bally's on Valentine's Day. Based on their picture alone, I'd heed the Bally employees' strike cry: "Just don't go."

No comments: