Saturday, October 8, 2011

Something New and Sparkly: The Fruits of Frugality



Crazy for Kawaii Fruit Frenzy Necklace

Top: Wet Seal
Jeans: City Streets, JCPenney
Shoes: Betseyville, Macy's
Bag: Bisou Bisou, JCPenney
Scarf: A.C. Moore
Bow barrette and flower pin: JCPenney

You know that saying "necessity is the mother of invention"?  Well, I've decided to put it to the test by not buying any new craft supplies save for essentials such as glue and wire.  That's right.  I'm going to soldier on making do with whatever ragamuffin ribbon, rhinestone, bead, and felt bits I have lying around and see what creations emerge.  In addition to helping me save a little money, I think this experiment will expand my imagination, enabling me to turn out some stuff that may have otherwise remained mired within my subconscious.  

In a related note, I've also pledged to cut down on clothes shopping.  Now, I'm not saying I'm not going to buy anything.  Because that would just be crazy.  Kind of like vowing to go on a diet and ending up with an empty Cheetos bag.  No, I'm just going to become a little choosier, purchasing only those items that I truly love or that I truly need.  (The latter often comes in the form of black tights, which are the fashion equivalent of cauliflower: necessary but hopelessly boring.)

Anyhow, I always seem to have plenty of felt in my supply stash, so this Crazy for Kawaii Fruit Frenzy Necklace was a no-brainer.  The inspired part came in the form of the ribbon, which was unfurling like a fairy princess's hair strand from its plastic palace of a Rubbermaid - no, I'm lying, Sterlite - box. 

No comments: