Sunday, October 2, 2011

Spinach Quiche


In an effort to include some healthier (i.e., more vegetable-rich) meals in my repertoire, I sat down and trolled Cooks.com.  This simply-named Spinach Quiche looked easy and harmless enough (save for the nutmeg, which I omitted), so I printed it out, added the ingredients to my grocery shopping list, and gave it a try this evening.  It wasn't until I was halfway through making it that I remembered I'd made (and blogged about) Paula Dean's Crustless Spinach Quiche earlier this year.  Of course, that version had been laden with sour cream, cottage cheese, and grated Parmesan in addition to the lonely cheddar included in this recipe and could hardly be counted as healthy.  Listen to me; I try one leafy green dish and all of a sudden I'm one of those self-righteous health nut know-it-alls.  My sincerest apologies.  Now, on to the recipe.

Ingredients:

4 eggs
Slightly more than 1/2 cup milk (Typing this I suddenly realize I . . . forgot . . . the . . . milk!)
1/2 tsp salt
Sprinkle of nutmeg (not for me, but to each his/her own)
Black pepper to taste
1 box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed out well (I cooked mine)
1/3 cup chopped onion (Catching sight of me about to do battle with the onion in my craft goggles, the bf stepped in and gallantly took over.  And yes, I now have craft goggles.  More on that [much] later.)
1 9-inch frozen pie shell or quiche pan
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (I detest Swiss cheese, so reduced-fat cheddar it was.)

Directions:

Sprinkle onion in shell or on pan.  Mix cheese, eggs, milk, and spices together.  Pour into crust or pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about half an hour.  (Insert knife into center to check.  If it comes out clean, then it's done.)      

So, how was it?  Especially without the milk?  Delicious!  Albeit a tad dense.  But that could be owing to the extra 1/2 cup cheese I added. (I wanted to use up the contents of an already-opened bag.)     

2 comments:

SparkleFarkel said...

The spinach on the half-shell looks...looks...LOOKS GOOD ENOUGH TO EAT! But I can't help but think (and salivate over) the Paula Deen quiche, laden with sour cream, cottage cheese, grated Parmesan, and cheddar--a concoction that can hardly be counted as healthy--is the one they serve in Heaven. <--Just another reason why you and I are going there, when the time comes. LOL!

P.S. Looking forward to that craft goggles blog! Promise me it will include a video? Thanks! (cHuCkLe! ChUCkLe!)

The Tote Trove said...

Yep, Paula Dean's masterpiece was tastier - I just couldn't eat as much of it!

I'll see what I can do about the goggles :)