Sunday, July 3, 2022

20,000 Leagues Under the Twee: Here's Lookin' at You, Squid

I ordered this Nordic Ware octopus cake mold from Zulily years ago not because I like to bake but because it was cute.  What I didn't realize was that I could use it to make my beloved JELL-O, which the husband helpfully pointed out.  So when it came time to decide what to bring to my parents' Fourth of July BBQ, I thought, why not?  If nothing else, then at least the kids would get a kick out of it.

I decided to keep the mold intact until it was dessert time at the BBQ.  The plan was to unmold Mr. Octopus in the privacy of the kitchen, then bring him out once I knew that he wasn't missing a tentacle or, worse, just an amorphous heap of blue goo.  But that pipe dream went out the window when everyone gathered around, my five-year-old nephew and three-year-old niece front and center and eagerly waiting.  The husband made a valiant effort to shake the octopus from his cage, but that stubborn mollusk stayed put.  Time for a hot water bath!  While the husband sneaked off to the sink, I said, oh, he'll be coming out very soon!, fingers crossed that there'd be no mishaps followed by the inevitable crying.  But when the husband returned and flipped the mold, I heard the unmistakable glop signaling that all was well.   


"It's a sea monster!" exclaimed my niece.  "No, it's an octopus!" insisted my nephew.  Whatever it was, it made its wobbly way to the dessert table, where I garnished it with Swedish Fish.



Most of us sampled some topped with Reddi-Whip, along with my mom's flag cake and blueberry pie.    Even my mom herself, who hates anything artificial, gamely tried a spoonful or two.  Of course, she thought it tasted like bubble bath or little girls' perfume.  She wasn't entirely wrong.  

When it was time to schlep the leftovers into a bowl, I couldn't help but notice that the eyes were still eerily intact, haunting anyone who dared come back for seconds.


Cartoonish yet all-knowing, those pool blue peepers bring new meaning to seafood.

4 comments:

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, I love it! So bright and blue! & the fish too! Yes, I can imagine the suspense. I think Of all my troubles loading up the car for a five-minute trip (possibly) to the big BBQ event (Which was not on time, I might add). But it was great to hear those words, "It's delicious!" There is always room for Jell-0!πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ Thanks so much for your comments. All the best to a restful 4th. Of course, I always want something happening in my stories. And it has been fun to write about troubled Tristan and Jade. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Cherry Blossoms said...

So glad to see this blue creature! Thanks so much! Adoring your Jello Adventure! Oh, the surprise! Love how you added the fish too! What fun! The post made me smile!πŸ’™❤️πŸ’™❤️πŸ’™❤️

Honestly, I wasn't so sure what to write next, but while I was on You Tube I came across a familiar face (as in faceclaim) who shot a little video wish A Happy Chinese New Year. Although, I have to wonder if he was hoping (or his manager) Yes, I would be perfect in a Chinese drama...although, he's from Thailand and I don't think they make many period piece dramas. Of course, when I saw it..oh, HE needs to be in my story. HE who I'm referring to is the faceclaim Tristan (Seriously, I don't know if I could spell his name correctly)

Samantha said...

Oh, my, gosh!!!!! This is amazing! First off, the fact that an octopus cake mold exists is amazing in itself. But even more amazing is that you put JELL-O in it, making for a realistic, wobbly octopus! I would've been nervous to take it out too, wondering if it would've came out in chunks rather than whole. It came out flawless and soooo cool! That bright blue is beautiful and very ocean-esque, and the Swedish fish garnish is GENIUS!!! Your creativity knows no bounds. :) I'm glad it was a crowd pleaser; thanks for sharing your Fourth of July masterpiece with us!

Ivy's Closet said...

WOW! that's a lot of jello to deal with! Great how it turned out! Love it! What a great 4th story too! πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™Thanks so much for your sweet comment. I don't know what got into me..OK, yes, I remember some of my not-so romances at work. Sometimes, I think I just dated all the wrong guys. Or maybe the ones I really liked were just too cheap. Hard to say. But its good to remember the sweet times. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️