Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Not Just a (Boston) Girl

When the husband came home and told me that one of his customers leant me a book, I was wary.  I'm not big on reading recommendations from strangers and asked what prompted this one.  It turns out that while the husband was building this woman a bookshelf, he mentioned that I was a reader.  And the woman thought that I might enjoy this novel called The Boston Girl.  The cover proclaimed that it was by Anita Diamant, the author of The Red Tent.  That alone signaled it must be serious, making me even leerier.  So I left it on an end table, reading one mystery and rom com after another, rationalizing that I'd get around to it some time.  

Evidently, that time was last week.  I looked at it sitting there expectantly under my leopard lamp, struck by the ocean and its suggestion of summer.  And I sighed and thought, you win, Anita.  My journey to Boston began.  

The Boston Girl opens in 1985 when eighty-five-year-old Addie Baum reflects on her life during an "interview" with her granddaughter.  What follows is a flashback to 1915 where we meet fifteen-year-old Addie, the titular Boston Girl and youngest child in a poor Jewish immigrant family.  Addie may live in a tenement, but she doesn't want to end up working in a sweatshop like her mother and sister.  She has big dreams, dreams ignited by books.  Her mother says that she reads too much, sometimes even calling her a whore for her ambitions.  It's rough, to say the least, and difficult to understand a mother talking to her daughter that way for wanting an education.  But then, it was a different time, and the Baums have been hardened by heartache.  Disease, the deaths of babies and children, and even a suicide are all part of their story and were sometimes too much for me.  Yet there's hope glinting through these tragedies, and that hope is Addie.  She has grit and gumption, and her first act of rebellion is running away to an educational retreat.  There she bonds with the daughters of Jewish, Irish, and Italian immigrants, bright, like-minded girls who also want something more.  Many become friends for life.  

Soon, what started as a story centered around class and family struggles turns into something much more complex: that is, a story about what it means to be a woman.  As Addie strives to make her way in the world, she often takes one step forward and two steps back.  The double standards that she and her friends face at work and while dating aren't so different than the ones that women deal with today.  But she keeps going, speaking up for herself at a time when most people thought that women should be seen and not heard.  She's an inspiration, reminding me that the privileges I enjoy today are thanks to trailblazers like her -- and also that there are still times when I need to be brave and speak up too.

So I'm glad I finally opened that book.  

I guess sometimes it pays to talk to listen to strangers.

9 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I read the Red Tent and really loved it - so I am happy to hear about this book. Your review has me interested so I will look into it.
It must have been a really good book for someone to feel so confident sending it to someone they didn't know! Weird!!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Ok. not sure if my comment went through or disappeared. The Captcha photos to identify objects for approval is a little difficult to see. (which your site sometimes asks for and sometimes doesn't)

Anyway , I loved the Red Tent and am intrigued with your review of his book. So, I will look into downloading it. Thanks.

Ivy's Closet said...

So great to see this. Such a wonderful story in history. Yes, I think we sometimes forget the pains of growing up in America not so long ago. How it took such hard work for families. The struggles and the commitment it took even with angry moms. 💙💙💙💙💙❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🍥🍥🍥🍥🍥 Thanks so much for reading and of course inspiring. Oh, it feels like a slow week here, working just an extra hour each day. That doesn't sound like much..but it is the library. And nothing like a stack of thin children's books to catalogue. I did post less this week. It seems many are on vacay, perhaps.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, the perfect review for this week. How nice to have this book passed on to you. It is always interesting to see what others are reading and of course, a book exchange is always wonderful! Such a tough time. Sounds like an amazing character too. Thanks so much for the wonderful review. ❤️💙❤️💙❤️💙 Of course, I couldn't help my self to bring in all sorts of summer drama. Hopefully, it will work... Thanks so much for reading and commenting. And of course, I always love finding your posts!

ellie said...

Such a great present from a stranger! Definitely a book that can have an impact on you. I will definitely have to look for this one. So great to find your review. ❤️❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈 Oh, it's Thursday and tomorrow is Friday..I have to wonder who will sho up tomorrow. More of the staff is getting COVID. All of us are vaccinated, but my boss did not sound well. And the other tech person was told to go to the doctor to get tested. She can not taste nor smell anything. She's given herself so many COVID test but they are coming back negative. I'm just waiting..I don't want to get sick.

The Book Group said...

Finally got something posted on this story. I have been waiting all week. Ugh..it has been a tiring week. And somebody just called me to see if we had power because she doesn't. And there is that humidity thing....sigh..

🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈

So happy to hear that you received this book! A great July book to review too!

R's Rue said...

It does. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

Wow, how cool that the sweet woman leant you a book!! And even better that you found inspiration in it. Sounds like a very eye-opening read with a lot of those moments of realizing, "wow, I have it much easier now than what people dealt with back then" but still with relatable topics that happen even now. It's always nice when something we're not sure of ends up being a good thing! :)

Jewel Divas Style said...

Sounds like an interesting book, but I'm finding stories about hardship are emotionally wearing me down. I think I might go for comedies in the future.