Monday, July 25, 2022

Every Dog Has its Stay: Fetch and Release

When I started reading Beth Morrey's The Love Story of Missy Carmichael, I felt like I'd read it before.  Elderly and alone, main character Missy is soured out on life.  She especially hates the people who frequent the local dog park and the way they pander to their pets.  Yet it's the park where she ends up making friends with a motley crew of strangers -- both human and otherwise -- who change her life.

Yep, no doubt about it, Missy is the male Ove.  As in Fredrik Backman's A Man Called Ove.  As I read on, I learned that the story even had some Backmanian twists.  Then I re-read the back cover and realized that this wasn't a brilliant observation on my part but something I'd gleaned from a review:

"Fans of Fredrik Backman and Rachel Joyce will enjoy this uplifting (but never saccharine) 'coming of old' story." -- Library Journal

Like Missy herself, this book requires a little patience.  For the first half, I wasn't even sure if I liked it.  Which in and of itself was problematic because it made me question if I was being a bad feminist.  Was A Man Called Ove really the better book?  Or was I merely more forgiving of an unlikeable man than an unlikeable woman?  Yet even if I don't have an answer to this, The Love Story of Missy Carmichael is worth reading.  If nothing else, then it reminds us that every unpleasant person has a sad secret and is deserving of our kindness.

That and a young pup can teach an old dog new tricks.

5 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, it does sound like a sweetheart of a book ❤️❤️❤️❤️ Thanks so much. So glad to see your review. I love the cover too.

Thanks so much for your comments. I greatly appreciate them.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, how cool. I have to read it now! I really think it's interesting that it centers around a dog park too. 🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋 Awesome review! Thanks so much for reading and your comments. Thanks for liking the new MastHead too.

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, it looks like a sweet read! Thank you so much. I haven't found this one yet, but maybe soon. Although, I should get some books back to the library. Always something.

Thank you for reading and commenting. 🦋❤️🦋❤️🦋❤️

Samantha said...

I remember you reviewing A Man Called Ove!! And this storyline does parallel the characters, it sounds like. I love the term 'coming of old', because hey, I'm sure there is still much to learn and experience in older age! That's a cool term the Library Journal used. "Every unpleasant person has a sad secret and is deserving of our kindness." Well said!!!

ellie said...

Thank you so much for your comments! They mean a lot to me. Cause, at times I am wondering what some readers are reading when they read my post. Oh, Tristan and Jade..I think I could let them just take over the blog, but I know I can't. Of course, Mona is pretty tough too. But then again, I have to see how Caitlin is going to get through this pregnancy when she would just suddenly not. Figuring out it will be painful, along with her own mommy issues. Of course, it's been a summer of baby birthing stories which I keep telling myself, I won't write about that, but then again..the stories I hear. ..OH and this COVID thing..first the throat. Now not sleeping at night. I think about the Friday night I went to sleep and dreamed all night of one of my favorite Chinese actors who spoke perfect English. I don't think I have slept that good since then. Let's hope tonight is better.

I went to look up on our website about this book. I can only get it on Libby so it might take awhile. But it will be on my list. Thanks for being here. Hope you are having a good week.