Sunday, January 8, 2023

Eating Out and Eating In, A Happy, Hearty Birthday Win




I hadn't celebrated my birthday at a restaurant since before the pandemic.  But this year I felt ready to venture back out into the land of breadbaskets.  So on Friday night, the husband and I went to the historic Smithville Inn.  When we walked up to the hostess stand, the manager asked if we were there for the sweet sixteen party.  "No," I informed him, excitedly. "We're here for my forty-first birthday."  

Apparently, being sequestered from society for so long has only made me blunter.

He smiled, amused, and the twentysomething hostess looked up from her Colleen Hoover novel (sidebar: who is this Colleen Hoover that's all over Insta, and should I start reading her?), smiling also.  Then she led us to a table for two, pointing out that it was "good for photo ops."  Either she'd seen us taking pictures outside or was proud of the enormous Christmas-turned-Valentine's wreath presiding over the table.  Which she very much should be!  It was a thing of beauty and completely in keeping with my more-is-more aesthetic.  I was only too happy to pose my punk rock-wannabe-self beside it.  (The hand-drawn heart, by the way, is camouflaging the husband's leftovers.  I had no leftovers, having scarfed down all of my shrimp-on-shrimp appetizer and entrée)  

Then on Saturday it was time for the family party at my parents', which also included my sister, brother-in-law, and their three kids.  I proudly donned my LC Lauren Conrad sequin dress, Betsey Johnson pumps and necklace, and my very own birthday cake and balloon barrettes.      

Birthday Cake Barrette Brooch

Necklace: Betsey Johnson, Gifted

Birthday Balloons Barrette Brooch

Speaking of cakes, my mom ordered my very favorite from Cacia's in Hammonton, a super sugary vanilla.  When they asked what color to make the roses, she said "all of them."  Everyone made everything so special that I was a little overcome.


Somehow, I managed to get my birthday crown over my enormous barrettes.  And yes, in case you're wondering, that's my wedding picture in the background.  Also, nutcrackers.  Because my birthday bridges the gloomy gap between Christmas and Valentine's Day.  I used to quip that just when you thought the holidays were over, here comes Tracy's birthday, implying that it was a nuisance.  But now I like my positive spin on my day as a bright spot. 

As well as my new philosophy to leave no shrimp behind.   

8 comments:

ellie said...

Looks like you had a blast this weekend! Such lovely hair too! Awesome cake! Adoring that last pic too! Oh, what a crown! Happy Birthday! Wishing you a beautiful new year!

It's funny you mentioned Colleen..a patron and I got into a great discussion about her yesterday. She was telling me how she'd loved this one book of hers, but it didn't have closure so Hoover wrote a little novelette for closure, and of course, she says, "I really wish she hadn't done that. It was just wrong."

I find her fiction more on the domestic side, yet romance emerges. She is however getting young and old to read these days at the library.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Wow! Such a great place to go out for your birthday! Love this! So festive! Such beautiful outfits. So glad you had a party too. Such a fun time. Looks like a beautiful weekend! All the best to your birthday wishes and more ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Ivy's Closet said...

What a beautiful birthday! So lovely! I am so glad you celebrated your birthday at that place. Awesome times! Such amazing outfits too! LOVE THE HAIR! Oh, I do like that about your birthday being that bridge between Christmas and Valentine's day! Looks like such a fun weekend! Love the post! Happy Happy! Joy Joy! Everyday💖💕❤️✨💕❤️

The Book Group said...

Oh, so pretty! A fabulous last line too!❤️✨💖✨❤️ All the best to your new year and your amazing creativity!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Awesome! Love the photos! So happy for you! All the best to a Fantastic new year!

Królowa Karo said...

Happy Birthday!

Samantha said...

I love this post!!! First off, your birthday dinner outfit is so magnificent! The jewel tones and dark lipstick is very punk rock! The Christmas-wreath-turned-Valentine's-Day décor compliments your outfit perfectly (Valentine's Day has the most fun colors, which is why I love that holiday!) The story of the conversation you had with the manager is cute, and I love how excited you were to say it was your forty-first birthday. Lastly, your second birthday outfit is totally adorable and I love the stripes mixed with the cool peach dress! Your barrettes and accessories are the icing on the cake.😊 Speaking of cake, that cake is gorgeous and looks delicious! The last photo is sweet and I noticed the wedding photo in the back immediately. 💖 Glad you had a fun forty-first, and tasty shrimp, too! 🎈

Jewel Divas Style said...

Love the wreath.

As for Colleen Hoover, I haven't read her either. Juvenile abusive relationships aren't my sort of thing.