Monday, January 23, 2023

Love Songs -- and Life -- on a Loop

This post isn't so much a book review as it is an off-the-rails-rant/reflection/rambling of a section of a book.  The book is The Honey-Don't List, by Christina Lauren, and it's an enemies-to-lovers tale about two twentysomething assistants on a home renovation reality show.

Now that that's out of the way, here's the quote in question:

"Our eyes catch for a few loaded seconds.  I'm thinking about how the first few times I hear a new song -- even one from a band I love -- I don't like it.  I resist the idea that something new could ever be as good as something old, but then slowly the new song works its way into my brain and I forget what it ever felt like to dislike it.  Right now I'm looking at Carey's face, thinking it's like a song I've heard a few times now, and every time I hear it again I like it more." (Lauren 93)

We've all been there.  Maybe not the falling-in-love-with-an-enemy thing, but the not-liking-something-until-it's-firmly-wedged-its-way-into-our-daily-lives thing.  What is it about a hook, musical or otherwise, that brainwashes us into hearting things that once made us want to hurl?  This is something I've wondered since childhood, when I first succumbed to liking the latest Hall & Oates single.  What can I say?  It was the '80s, and my mom was a fan.

Anyway, the familiarity-breeds-content theory is alive and well in The Honey-Don't List.  At least for Jim and Carey (and yes, there's a Jim Carrey joke in the book).  The bond that burgeons between our hapless-in-Hollywood (okay, Jackson, Wyoming) heroes rings true because it's spurred by the soul-crushing egos of the show's married yet miserable stars.  A pressure cooker of a workplace like that is enough to make any two unattached people, however seemingly ill suited, turn to each other for moral support -- and more.  That said, The Honey-Don't List is a fun ride (most of it takes place on a tour bus), perfect in these weeks before Valentine's Day -- or for cleansing your palate after a wrenching read.

Because even with books, the heart wants what the heart wants . . . after being exposed to it a gazillion times.

9 comments:

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, I'm glad you found one to make up for that last read. So interesting to find that question too. Such an interesting connection. So glad to see your review. This looks like a sweet and enlightening read! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Thanks for your comments about Tristan. Oh, and Nonnie...well, she is a character I have to say I find intriguing too.

The Book Group said...

Such a fun review. And I lot to think on too. I like that with this author and now I want to listen to Hall & Oates! One of my favorite Way back When bands! Yet, it's kind of like how we get set in our ways too. Is it just expectations? Thanks for giving me a smile this morning. I hope your January is very productive. Thanks so much for your reviews and more!

ellie said...

Sounds like a novel many will connect with..which is always great to find. And on a tour and work-related too. It looks like a great getaway book for these cold days we are having. So glad you reviewed it. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Yes, I still continue with those bed stories...(✿◡‿◡)

Cherry Blossoms said...

Very happy to read your review. Oh, it does look like a tale I would quite enjoy! So great to see you aren't having to relive that one book...I am definitely going to look for this one!

Samantha said...

First off, this is the perfect approaching-Valentine's-month read!! Love that cover. And the strange mystery of how a new song slowly makes its way into our daily lives and becomes something we like is a fascinating phenomenon, for sure! 🎵💖

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I think I'm following your line of thought - so many times when a new style comes out, I really don't like it. Then after a year or two when I get used to it- then I really like it. Not sure if that's what you meant Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the book.

Mor Düşler Kitaplığı said...

Çok eğlenceli bir kitap incelemesi olmuş. Kitabı henüz okumadım ama incelemenden sonra listeme ekledim. Umarım dilimize çevrilir. :)

Better Left Unsaid said...

This really goes into conversations I am sure we wished we'd had with our frienenmeies. Awesome review!

Ivy's Closet said...

It definitely looks like a fun read that would take you away from these cold days. So fun! LOVE YOUR COMMENTARY!