Sunday, January 29, 2023

What the World Needs: What is, Women's Wit and Wisdom

When I saw Iliza Shlesinger promoting her books on Celebrity Jeopardy!, I knew that I would read them.  Not only do I love books by comedians, but Shlesinger's first, Girl Logic: The Genius and the Absurdity, has a foreword written by none other than Celebrity Jeopardy! host Mayim Bialik.  So when the husband gave me a copy for Christmas, I was psyched.  

In Girl Logic, Shlesinger shares laugh-out-loud anecdotes showing why we women think and act the way we do and why that both helps and hurts us.  Yet it's Shlesinger's more serious commentary toward the end that most gripped me:

"Point is, from the get-go, it's been excruciatingly difficult for women to be strong and make our way in this world.  We've had to fight hard for everything we've achieved.  And sometimes we've had to fight each other.  We're taught to do it, we're trained to do it, and our most reactive, base-level Girl Logic tells us we HAVE to do it to get what we want." (192)

I read that and thought, oh my goodness, she's right.  Women are taught to fight with each other.  That's where the whole mean girls thing comes in.  And why if you, for whatever reason, lack that killer instinct, then everything from playing musical chairs to competing for the corner office will rip you a new one.  Thankfully, Shlesinger goes on to say that we don't have to play this evolutionarily-rooted and socially-sanctioned game.  (Whew!)  We can be better than our biology and the men who try to control it:

"Though the irregular, sometimes-irrational headphone cord knots of GL might kick into freak-out mode and tell us other women are out to get us, it's on us to choose how to react -- to take the high road and attempt to act from kindness instead of fear or pettiness." (Shlesinger 192)   

Take that, Regina George!  (Not that Regina didn't already learn her lesson, what with getting hit by that bus.)

So yeah, I heart Girl Logic: The Genius and the AbsurdityBecause I'm always here for hard truths sugar-coated in comedy.  

Next stop (at some point!) Shlesinger's, All Things Aside: Absolutely Correct Opinions.

I'm sure it will be absolutely awesome.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

"Thankfully, Shlesinger goes on to say that we don't have to play this evolutionarily-rooted and socially-sanctioned game. (Whew!) We can be better than our biology and the men who try to control it" - well said!!! I love this! What a cool read; her anecdotes are spot-on, and I appreciate her mentioning that "it's on us to choose how to react - to take the high road and attempt to act from kindness instead of fear or pettiness". Yes!!! 💖😊

ellie said...

It does look like a lot of wonderful material in this book. A very good feminist indeed. And I think nurturing those friendships and especially giving your input to the new kid is always a good thing in work-related times. It looks like a book many of us need on our bookshelf. So glad you got this as a gift. Thanks so much. Such a wonderful review! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ It's 6 degrees at the moment..but warmer weather on the way! Thanks for your comments! & yes, Gage has more than a heavy head (✿◡‿◡)

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, it does look so enlightening. What a great read! I will definitely have to look for her work! Thanks so much! All the best to your February reads❤️ Thanks so much for your comments. Oh, I hope I am not too gloomy. Sometimes, I think it's just cabin fever.

Ivy's Closet said...

Definitely a powerful book. So great to see this comedian moving on and forward. A much-needed read for all of us. We definitely need to be kinder. Thanks so much for your comments. I have seen a few things at the work place that were just as bad as angst teens fighting. It is sad. Some very severe consequences have come from these instances too. 🙂

Better Left Unsaid said...

Definitely, a must read. So glad you reviewed it. And even better, your hubby knows what to get you. Awesome! Thanks so much for the wonderful review.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️Oh, I just couldn't help myself with Aaron's story. Thanks for reading and commenting.

The Book Group said...

Oh, what a wonderful review! Words we really need to read and reflect on. Thanks for doing this. What a fantastic Christmas gift too!