Monday, October 12, 2009

Make and Tell Challenge: Day 42




I spent the first half of my day off sleeping and working on the computer. Then I got down to business and painted the first coat on my next large summer-themed tote, Cool Treats. I really enjoyed painting this. Although I have fun making jewelry and working on other projects, I'm the most at home when painting. In this tote, I love the fun, graphic feel of the oversized twin pop, lollipop, and ice cream cone against the hot pink background. It makes me think of the boardwalk and birthday parties and summer camp (although the only good thing about that last one was the twin pops themselves, which were distributed at the end of each day while we kids waited for our parents.) Once finished, I made and ate dinner and re-watched bits and pieces of Knocked Up before embarking upon two necklaces. The Music Magic Necklace features instrument charms intended to be used as dollhouse miniatures. The double-stranded style adds chunk while the black and colored plastic beads provide a nice contrast for the gold-tone instruments. The Purple Princess necklace is another story. I don't know what got into me with this one. I started ripping apart old store-bought necklaces, which yielded the gold plastic beads, gold nugget beads, and two crocheted charms, and attaching pieces (namely the plastic purple ovals and paua shell pendant) with wire. I actually looped the wire making up the necklace around the insides of the ovals, then continued stringing the other beads. It's a little crazy, but I figured I'd just let the process unravel. The result is eclectic and arty, a weird mix of old and modern pieces. But it has a certain appeal. I may buy some ultra thin plum-colored ribbon to more soundly secure the ovals and add decorative interest. After that, I think I'll list it and see what happens.

No comments: