Thursday, September 3, 2009

Make and Tell Challenge Day 3


I was excited to complete today's challenge before 8:00 pm! (Last night I ended up staying up way too late, doing stuff online [you know how that is] and as a result felt like a zombie today.)

Today's task was outlining. This is probably my favorite step, because that's when the images really come alive. The first time I experimented with outlining I was so impressed with the results that I couldn't believe I hadn't been doing it all along.

When I took on the Make and Tell Challenge, I didn't know how much it would impact my working habits. I figured, I work on something every day as usual, then blog about it. What's so different about that? But these past 3 days I found myself working beyond my normal stopping point because I knew I would be publishing my progress. For example, before the challenge I may have stopped halfway through applying the first coat, saving the rest for the next day. But now I think in terms of stages, as in okay, I started the first coat, so now I need to finish it, or I started outlining, so how can I stop? As a result, I'm getting more done and that makes me very happy.

Speaking of happy, I've decided to name this tote Happy Stuff. I was getting stumped because there are so many things going on, and I wanted to choose a name that was truly representative. Happy Stuff seemed to work (if cupcakes and butterflies don't define happy, then I don't know what does!)

Stay tuned for tomorrow when I unleash the final product!

1 comment:

Cassandra Watsham said...

The more you show me this tote, the more I really want it! Great outlining work - it helps separate the colours and images and makes a great menagerie of 'happy'!

Congrats on a successful Make n' Tell #3! And thanks sooo much for your 'outside the box' compliment. I always try to live outside the box to help reimagine what I see and how I create. Good luck on the giveaway draw! :)