Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Tasty Casserole



Because my profile boasts that I "make a mean casserole" I figured it was about time I proved it. Tonight I made my favorite, Lattice Chicken. My mom used to make it when I was little, and I would go as far as to say that it's not only my favorite casserole but one of my top five favorite foods. Baked with the irresistible combination of cheddar, onion rings, and Pillsbury crescent rolls, it's gooey and golden -- the ultimate comfort food. Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try (hint: it's super easy!):

Ingredients:

1 can cream of potato soup
1 cup milk
1 package cooked chicken tenders or breasts (I use tenders)
1 16-oz bag frozen broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower
1 cup shredded cheddar (uh, I think I use a good deal more than this . . .)
1 can onion rings
1 4-oz tube Pillsbury crescent rolls (today at Acme I had a choice of either the reduced fat or "big and buttery" version. Guess which one I when for?)

Directions:

Cook chicken on stove. (You're supposed to boil it, but I usually fry it; again, are you really surprised?) Combine soup, milk, chicken, vegetables, 1/2 cup cheddar, and 1/2 can onion rings in a 8"x12" baking dish. Bake, covered, at 375 degrees (despite my editorial background I cannot for the life of me remember the shortcut for degrees) for 20-30 minutes (30 if your oven is slow, like mine). Smooth over the perforations in the crescent rolls so they form one sheet, then cut into strips. Place crosswise on casserole to form a lattice. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and onion rings. Bake, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until onion rings are golden and casserole is bubbling.

This dish is not only delicious, but, like most casseroles, needs no side dishes, except for maybe a nice green salad. It also freezes well (something I take advantage of often because the bf and I usually eat only half.). I also made a frozen peanut butter and strawberry jam pie, but it's still in the freezer because we ate the Ocean City fudge for dessert instead.

No comments: