Monday, November 30, 2009

Blogging vs. Facebook

Yesterday I noticed that I have twice as many Facebook fans (48) as I do blog followers (24). My first thought was, that's weird. I never even update my Facebook page but blog almost every day, sometimes more than once a day. I prefer blogging because it allows me to write mini articles on almost anything. I can talk about my projects, movies, food, something I heard on the radio, or even what I wore that day. And by following other people's blogs, I can learn similar things about them. Facebook, by contrast, is designed for typing out quick one liners, as in, "Great new bracelet you made there!" or "Thanks for stopping by my booth at the (insert name here) craft show." There may be more of a dialogue going on, but in my opinion, there's less being said. Yet people love it. I mean, I have 48 fans (mostly because we Etsians love to send mass emails requesting that we fan each other, but you probably already knew that.) Does this mean that I should start updating my Facebook page? Should I copy my giveaways there, post my featured artist links there, write about new products there? Probably, much as it pains me to admit it. Quite frankly, I hardly have time to maintain this blog let alone another mode of social media. But it probably makes sense to use Facebook as another conduit for getting The Tote Trove out there, if only for promotional stuff. I guess. I mean, I'll give it a try, but I don't have especially high hopes. It's this blog, however, that will always be home base, my place to play with thoughts and topics that sometimes make no sense but are nonetheless part of this crazy Tote Trove journey. Because at the end of the day this blog is the chronicle of what I'm doing or trying to do or wishing to do, regardless of how many readers I have. It's my journal, my would-be novel, and my no-holds-barred column all rolled into one. And that's much better than any wall, don't you think?

No comments: