Friday, November 20, 2009

Liberty and Laundry for All

On the way to work this morning I was listening to 102.7, which is a grittier Atlantic City-based version of my usual choice, Philadelphia's 104.5. Anyway, the morning guys were talking about this woman in southeastern Pennsylvania who is being pressured by her neighbors to stop drying her clothes on a clothesline in her yard. They claim that her laundry is an eyesore. The illustrious men of 102.7, of course, agreed, asserting that they wouldn't want to see granny panties flapping in the wind. The public display of a "hot" neighbor's unmentionables, though, would be perfectly acceptable. I don't think I have to tell you what I think about this. It's not even the sexism that gets me so much as the violation of personal rights. I mean, it's this woman's yard. The people trying to take her down are probably the same types who protest when someone paints his or her house an unconventional color or indulges in what is perceived to be too many lawn ornaments. As a busy person who keeps a less than pristine yard, I feel a certain kinship with this woman. Because we're all just trying to get by, you know? Okay, I'll step down from my soapbox now.

No comments: