Sunday, November 15, 2009

More Shoes!





Today found me doing a little more Christmas shopping with my mom -- and dropping into DSW to see what was new. Or old, in my case. If you've been keeping up with my shoe shopping posts, then you know that I shop the clearance rack almost exclusively. Today was no different. I almost bought a pair of black ballerina flats on sale (not clearance, just sale) for a reasonable $30. I needed them; I don't have a single pair of goes-with-everything flats I can wear for walking and, well, shopping. In fact, my "neutral" pair was a set of gold ballerina flats, which I was wearing at the moment. Begrudgingly, I tried the black ones on. Comfortable. Very comfortable. But something just didn't sit right. I put them back, deciding to think about it, and meandered over to the clearance racks. I felt instantly revitalized; it was a mecca of style and savings: sandals, party shoes, boots, and sneakers all tumbled together in a confusion of seasons and colors. I easily could've walked away with a dozen pairs but narrowed it down to these zebra-print Charles David flats bedecked with over-sized rhinestones and these strappy cool mint and turquoise Nine West sandals. Each pair was only $15! And my receipt reported that I'd saved $105! I instantly felt elated, even accomplished. Now, I know what you may be thinking. What of the black ballerina flats? Even at half price, how do the zebra-print shoes provide the same level of wearability? Well, they don't. But I don't buy shoes with my head, just my heart. I'm not sure why I even tried to add logic to the equation today. Besides, clashing prints are so much more fun than just one print teamed with a well-behaved, sensible solid, don't you think? :)

No comments: