Sunday, November 22, 2009

Summer Berry Pie



Summer foods are my favorite, so I keep right on making them even when I should be doing something with pumpkins. On my cooking kick tonight I made this super easy Summer Berry Pie, which I got from JELL-O: Celebrating 100 Years. It's super sweet, what with the JELL-O, berries, and 3/4 cup of sugar. Mixing the sugar, cornstarch, and JELL-O was fun because I got to watch it become this thick, jam-like mass. When done, the pie looked so pretty, all colorful and juicy, almost as if it were one of those plastic ones they have for show in restaurants. And it was delicious too! I could've eaten the whole thing. But I didn't.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups water
1 4-serving size package JELL-O, any red flavor (I used strawberry)
1 cup blueberries (for the berries, I used frozen blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries)
1 cup raspberries
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 6-oz prepared graham cracker crumb crust

Directions:

Mix sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in gelatin until completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Stir in berries. Pour into crust. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm. Top with whipped cream.

No comments: